Welcome to Zhu Group
The Zhu Research Group, directed by Professor Ting Zhu, performs research in the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology.
Our group investigates the mechanical behavior of advanced engineering materials and energy materials at the nano to macro-scale using modeling and simulations.
The current research projects in the group include studies of ultrahigh strength in nanotwinned metals; electrode degradation in Lithium-ion batteries; dislocation and twinning mechanisms in metallic nanostructures; fracture in 2D materials; irradiation damage in nuclear materials; hydrogen embrittlement of steels; nanostructured shape memory alloys; and development of multiscale modeling methods.
Woodruff Faculty Fellow
Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332
Office: MRDC 4110, 801 Ferst Dr. NW
- He et al., In situ observation of shear-driven amorphization in silicon crystals. Nature Nanotechnology, in press (2016)
- J. W. Wang, Z. Zeng, C. R. Weinberger, Z. Zhang, T. Zhu and S. X. Mao. In situ atomic-scale observation of twinning-dominated deformation in nanoscale body-centred cubic tungsten. Nature Materials, 14, 594-600 (2015)
- X. Wang, F. Fan, J. W. Wang, H. Wang, S. Tao, A. Yang, Y. Liu, H. B. Chew, S. X. Mao, T. Zhu, and S. Xia. High damage tolerance of electrochemically lithiated silicon. Nature Communications, 6, 8417 (2015)
- P. Zhang, L. Ma, F. Fan, Z. Zeng, C. Peng, P. E. Loya, Z. Liu, Y. Gong, J. Zhang, X. X. Zhang, P. M. Ajayan, T. Zhu and J. Lou. Fracture toughness of graphene. Nature Communications, 5, 3782 (2014)
- J. W. Wang, S. Narayanan, J. Y. Huang, Z. Zhang, T. Zhu and S. X. Mao. Atomic-scale dynamic process of deformation-induced stacking fault tetrahedra in gold nanocrystals. Nature Communications, 4, 2340 (2013)
- X. H. Liu, J. W. Wang, S. Huang, F. Fan, X. Huang, Y. Liu, S. Krylyuk, J. Yoo, S. A. Dayeh, A. V. Davydov, S. X. Mao, S. T. Picraux, S. Zhang, J. Li, T. Zhu and J. Y. Huang. In situ atomic-scale imaging of electrochemical lithiation in silicon. Nature Nanotechnology, 7, 749-756 (2012)
- T. Zhu and J. Li. Ultra-strength materials. Progress in Materials Science, 55, 710-757 (2010)
- T. Zhu, J. Li, A. Samanta, A. Leach and K. Gall. Temperature and strain-rate dependence of surface dislocation nucleation. Physical Review Letters, 100, 025502 (2008)
- T. Zhu, J. Li, A. Samanta, H. G. Kim and S. Suresh. Interfacial plasticity governs strain rate sensitivity and ductility in nanostructured metals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 104, 3031-3036 (2007)